BNY Mellon Careers
Overview of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company dedicated to helping clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets.
The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV is the Brussels based European bank of BNY Mellon. With branches in 7 European jurisdictions the European bank has a presence across key countries in continental Europe. Its presence in the Netherlands consists of locations in Amsterdam and Breda and focuses on custody and depositary services for institutional clients based in the Netherlands. Ancillary activities include accounting, reporting and fund agency services.
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The main team of the legal department of the European Bank (the “Continental Legal Team”) is based in Brussels with local teams in the larger branches. The work of the team members based in Amsterdam has a focus on a Netherlands law perspective. Such matters include the negotiation of client agreements, the implementation of (European) legislation on service models and existing agreements, product development, purchase agreements, corporate law and corporate governance, corporate secretary related work and dispute resolution.
The Continental Legal Team members work closely with each other and the legal teams based in London, notable the colleagues of the London based Asset Servicing Legal Team. Legal projects within BNY Mellon are often multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary. The Continental Legal Team also liaises with colleagues in the United States and APAC region on the business lines it supports and (custody) network arrangements.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
Your role will be to provide legal advice and support to the Amsterdam branch on a wide variety of legal matters with an emphasis on custody and depositary services. This requires close cooperation with your colleagues in the Netherlands and internationally. You will be involved in discussions with local clients and prospects, provide local law input on legal projects, assist in product development and perform corporate secretary activities.
The role offers a unique opportunity to work on a broad range of financial services provided by BNY Mellon across Europe, experience a dynamic international financial institution and develop on a professional and personal level in the coming years. Your portfolio will enable you to work on a broad range of subjects and will bring you in close contact with highly motivated professionals throughout the BNY Mellon organisation.
Hierarchically, you will report to the legal counsel in Amsterdam. You will be based in the office in Amsterdam and required to work from the Breda office one day every two to three weeks.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts with clients;
- Support strategic business initiatives through the provision of effective and timely legal advice and legal documentation;
- Advise business and management on banking and financial law/regulation (such as AIFMD, Brexit, CSDR, GDPR, MAR, MiFID II, PSD2, etc.) and assist in the development of plans to comply with (new) law and regulation;
- Advise/support business in developing services and products in line with applicable law & regulation;
- Advise on a wide range of facility management related purchase agreements;
- Advise and prepare documentation in relation to internal and external outsourcing;
- Advise local management on corporate law and corporate governance and act as a corporate secretary;
- Support and advice - in conjunction with the litigation, enforcement & investigations team - on dispute resolution when necessary;
- Represent the legal team and actively participate in governance bodies, business steering committees and working groups;
- Support the instruction and management of external counsel (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assist with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
- Support knowledge sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV General Counsel;
- Fellow members of the Continental Legal Team;
- The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV & Amsterdam Branch management;
- EMEA Compliance & Risk Management;
- The Head of the Asset Servicing Legal Team;
- EMEA wide legal team.
The successful candidate will have at least 3-5 years’ work experience in a law firm with a focus on contracts and contract law and will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
- A Master's degree in Civil Law or Financial Law of the Netherlands;
- Fluency in Dutch and English; good knowledge of a third European language (written & oral) is a plus;
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends;
- Basic knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and the applicable regulatory frameworks;
The candidate should also have:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
- A hands-on mentality with an eye for practical solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
- Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management;
- A sensitivity to intercultural contacts and communication;
- A willingness to explore the organisation and learn new things; and
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Netherlands-Amsterdam-Amsterdam
Internal Jobcode: 85113
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1802431